Tuesday, April 11, 2006

 

National Buffoon

I was ringing sales at the bookstore today when a paranoid-looking guy put his purchase in front of me. I rang it up and didn't comment on his T-shirt, which had, in big white letters against a black background (next to a big white Statue of Liberty) the words "Welcome To America. Now Speak English!"
I bet he ordered it from a conservative talk show host. Now that the issue of illegal aliens is a big news item, he's wearing the shirt wherever he goes.
He looked at me suspiciously as my eyes scanned his T-Shirt.
I wonder if his great-grandfather broke into a sweat at Ellis Island while a short-tempered authority mis-spelled his name and stared at his daughter as if she were a leg of lamb.
I wonder if his great-great-great-great-great grandfather disembarked from the Mayflower, hewed the forests and constructed Plymouth.
Did his father's father's father's father shed his blood at Gettysburg?
Does he have a drop of African blood in him?
Does he have an ancester with a loin-cloth reading "Welcome to the New World. Now speak Ojibwe?"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?