Friday, July 28, 2006

 

Famous People I Have Met

Patty Hearst (Bookstore appearance.) [And welcome, NSA, to my webpage!]

William F. Buckley (Bookstore appearance. Nobody showed up. He sat in front of three huge stacks of his book.)

George Plimpton (Bookstore appearance.)

Jean Marsh (Rose from UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS; creator of that series. A friend stopped her on street in London. She was in a big hurry. I began talking to, or at, her as soon as she was about to escape. I still feel like The Ugly American for delaying her. I think she might have had to pee.)

Daniel Patrick Moynihan (on the campaign trail in my hometown, circa 1976. I delayed him so he could sign a bumper sticker bearing his name.)

Louis Armstrong (1970. Got his autograph when he made a surprise appearance at a jazz concert at my local high school. He signed an autograph for everybody. I had the autograph for twenty years. Lost it when I moved from one room in the house to another.)

Pete Best. (Got autograph when he was at a Beatles convention. Lost it a week and a half later.)

Paul. Sir...Paul. (Book party, if you please!) (Addressed him as "Sir Paul," even though I am American. October, 2000.)

Phillip Bosco. (I was with a friend who recognized him on the street in Manhattan. Same friend who spotted Jean Marsh in London.)

Malcolm Forbes. (Random siting, Manhattan, 1989. Sent letter later, got reply with signature! I'm a Stalkerazzi, huh?)

And you, my readers. All of you are famous, of course.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?