Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

From My Later, Funnier Blog

Here's an excerpt from it. I was talking about the time I met What's-His-Face:

...I met Paul McCartney in the most unbelieveable way imaginable. What are the odds that someone who listens to almost nothing but Beatles music would be handed a postcard at work which said "Help launch PAUL MCCARTNEY PAINTINGS, the new book from Chronicle Books. 4:00 P. M., Such-and-such a date, such-and-such-a-place. Meet the artist. RSVP." I was working at an independent book store on Long Island in the summer of 2000, when my boss handed me that card, saying, "I didn't know there was a book of Paul McCartney's paintings coming out." She handed me the card and I looked at it. Then I noticed that it said "Meet the artist." We RSVP'd, and, about two weeks later, I heard that I was going to meet Paul. The event was at a little gallery/bar in Manhattan in October. It was an extremely low-key event. There were about five people standing outside the bar when I got there. They were all booksellers. Most book store people I knew simply threw out the card, not realizing it was an offer to meet Paul McCartney. They thought it was just promoting a book party. I met some high rollers of the publishing world at the party (including one of the owners of the really quite humongous entity for which I began working five years later.) Anyway, I got to talk to Paul about one of his paintings. I felt like Charlie Bucket, getting the golden ticket in the chocolate bar. I'm still really amazed this happened.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?